BACARDÍ® Rum Cuts Greenhouse Gas Emissions By 50%
February 8, 2022
Iconic rum achieves major step towards ultimate Net Zero goal with plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions at its Puerto Rico distillery by 50% from next year
Hamilton, Bermuda, February 8, 2022 – Bacardi, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, has announced that its iconic premium rum brand will cut its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in half from 2023.
BACARDÍ rum’s GHG emissions will be reduced by 50% when a Combined Heat & Power (CHP) system goes live next year at the brand’s distillery in Puerto Rico. The new CHP system will replace heavy fuel oil with propane gas, a much cleaner and more efficient energy solution.
The 50% reduction in BACARDÍ rum’s GHG emissions represents a 14% cut in the total emissions globally for family-owned Bacardi, whose portfolio of premium brands also includes BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, PATRÓN® tequila and GREY GOOSE® vodka – a significant step towards the 50% cut the company is committed to achieving globally by 2025.
Other ways in which the BACARDÍ rum distillery is already pioneering new environmental practices include:
- The generation of biogas through the waste water treatment system, which helps power the distillation and creates electricity – more than 60% of the distillery’s energy is generated this way;
- Recapturing 95% of the heat generated during distillation to reduce the energy required;
- Plan is underway to capture CO2 from the fermentation process so it can be supplied to the sparkling drinks industry;
- Planting and nurturing six pollinator gardens to support local wildlife in Puerto Rico. Bacardi has received conservation certification from the Wildlife Habitat Council in recognition of its commitment to environmental stewardship.
As part of its Corporate Responsibility program, Good Spirited, and in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, Bacardi has set a number of goals which it is committed to achieving by 2025. These global targets, which are in addition to the company’s commitment to be 100% plastic free by 2030, include:
- 50% cut in greenhouse gas emissions at Bacardi production sites;
- 25% cut in water consumption at Bacardi production sites;
- 100% key raw materials and packaging sourced sustainably;
- 100% of product packaging to be recyclable;
- 40% recycled content of product packaging materials;
- Zero waste to landfill at all Bacardi production sites.
Find out more about Bacardi’s sustainability commitments and its vision to become the most environmentally responsible global spirits company at https://www.bacardilimited.com/corporate-responsibility.
Always drink responsibly.
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally recognized spirits and wines. The Bacardi brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDÍ® rum, GREY GOOSE® vodka, PATRÓN® tequila, DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, and other leading and emerging brands including WILLIAM LAWSON’S® Scotch whisky, ST-GERMAIN® elderflower liqueur, and ERISTOFF® vodka. Founded 160 years ago in Santiago de Cuba, family-owned Bacardi Limited currently employs more than 8,000, operates production facilities in 10 countries, and sells its brands in more than 170 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited. Visit www.bacardilimited.com or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram.