MARTINI®–The Iconic Italian Brand–Celebrates 150th Anniversary
July 17, 2013
Acclaimed brand salutes playful, stylish Italian MARTINI lifestyle with consumer party, limited edition vermouth, new sparkling wine packaging and commemorative label
Hamilton, Bermuda, July 17, 2013––Happy Anniversary, MARTINI®! Bacardi Limited is marking the 150th anniversary of its world-famous MARTINI brand, and with it, a century and a half of an unrivaled heritage that has made MARTINI the world’s leading vermouth and best-selling Italian sparkling wine. This milestone year showcases the brand’s iconic culture and defining association with stylish and playful Italian living. MARTINI is sharing the moment through retail exclusives, commemorative labels, refreshing cocktails and one-of-a-kind collaborations.
Since 1863, MARTINI has created exceptional drinks synonymous with “gioia di vivere” (joy of living), one filled with style, passion and the enthusiasm to live life to its fullest. MARTINI exudes a distinctly Italian mindset that has transcended beyond drinks to define an entire culture.
“As we celebrate the MARTINI 150th anniversary, we are so proud of the important role that this global and cultural icon has in the dolce vita lifestyle,” says Facundo L. Bacardi, Chairman of Bacardi Limited. “In reflecting on MARTINI’S rich history, we look forward to furthering the legacy of this remarkable brand to spirits consumers throughout the world.”
With vermouth aperitifs experiencing resurgence and Italian sparkling wines thriving globally, consumers and bartenders can enjoy the anniversary with offerings and festivities, all uniquely “MARTINI”:
•The Once in a Lifetime: Limited Edition MARTINI® Gran Lusso™ Vermouth – Launched at an exclusive event for the world’s top bartenders at the brand’s birthplace of Pessione, Italy, MARTINI Gran Lusso (grand luxury) combines two unique botanical extracts inspired by a vermouth from the brand’s archive and a 1904 recipe. This single-batch, super-premium vermouth features a unique bittersweet taste of aromatic herbs, the honey softness of aged Moscato and hints of lavender and rose. Best enjoyed over ice with a slice of grapefruit peel to garnish or as an ingredient to revive classic cocktails such as the Rob Roy, Negroni or El Presidente.
• The Party Pleaser: Introduction of MARTINI “Royale” Terrazza – The first MARTINI Terrazza opened in 1948 in Paris along the Champs Elysées. The rooftop bar concept fast became the perfect hotspot for the chic and glamorous. This year, MARTINI Terrazze around the world roll out the new MARTINI “Royale” Terrazza––showcasing the popular MARTINI® Royale. This sophisticated drink is a balance of MARTINI® Prosecco and MARTINI® Bianco (or Rosato) served over ice with a squeeze of lime and a sprig of mint. It symbolizes style and embodies everything the Italian brand represents.
• The Iconic Heritage: Celebratory Anniversary Label – The limited edition label across MARTINI® Rosso, Bianco, Extra Dry and Rosato in Europe honors the original label designs on the MARTINI Rosso bottle from 1867-1997. Emblazoned on the label are the coats of arms of the Royal House of Italy and the city of Turin. Both flank the winged “Roman Goddess Fame,” commemorating the Grand Prize awarded to MARTINI at the 1878 Paris Grand Exhibition.
• The Contemporary Feel: New Look for Sparkling Wines – MARTINI unveils new packaging for its award-winning Italian sparkling wines of Prosecco, Rosé, Asti and Brut. With a vine motif reflecting its rich artisanal 150-year expertise in winemaking, the new look features the MARTINI heritage crest with its 1863 foundation date.
• The Gala: Party at an Italian Villa – Guests can celebrate 150 years of “gioia di vivere” at the VIP-filled MARTINI 150 Anniversary event on September 19 at a private villa on Lake Como in Cernobbio, Italy. Party-goers will receive unprecedented access to the MARTINI lifestyle. By visiting www.martini.com, legal drinking age fans can embrace the “Luck is an Attitude” philosophy and enter to win a chance to attend this unforgettable event.
• The MARTINI Calling Card: Ads are Cultural Icons – The MARTINI ball-and-bar logo became an international symbol of glamour and sophistication. The character, style and personality of MARTINI remain instantly recognizable. Cultural icons from every decade have been associated with MARTINI. In the 1950’s, a young Andy Warhol created some of the most well-known iconic print advertisements, and many MARTINI print ads remain coveted collectors’ items. In the 1990’s-2000’s, a new generation of Hollywood stars, including George Clooney, Gwyneth Paltrow, Charlize Theron and Jude Law, appeared in MARTINI commercials embodying the glamorous MARTINI spirit while paying homage to the brand’s longtime love affair with cinema.
• The Engines Rev: Return to Racing – The distinct MARTINI style is evident as the brand returns as official sponsor of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup. For the first time since 2008, the new Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car features the distinctive dark blue, light blue and red stripes of MARTINI Racing. At this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, the brand reunites an unprecedented line-up of heritage and drivers.
“MARTINI is crafted from only the finest ingredients, creating drinks with exceptional taste. Discerning consumers around the world have come to know and admire MARTINI for these qualities over the last 150 years. It’s why the brand continues to attract tremendous attention and generate growth,” adds Ed Shirley, Bacardi Limited President & CEO. “Each year, new generations fall in love with the extraordinary taste of MARTINI vermouths and Italian sparkling wines, which are fantastic on the rocks or enjoyed in cocktails. In this celebratory year, we invite consumers to make their own luck and experience memorable MARTINI moments.”
Martini & Rossi was founded in 1863 by wine merchant Alessandro Martini, master winemaker and herbalist Luigi Rossi, and accountant Teofilo Sola. The company began by producing vermouths and later diversified into Italian sparkling wines. It soon became the internationally acclaimed, cosmopolitan Italian-drinks-and-lifestyle brand it is today.
MARTINI produced products far smoother, more sophisticated and consistent in taste than any previous aromatic wines. To this day, the recipes are closely guarded secrets, only known by four MARTINI Master Blenders. Each vermouth recipe contains more than 40 botanicals––a combination of specifically selected aromatic herbs, scented flowers, fragrant fruits, exotic woods, rare roots and spices from around the world––married into perfectly balanced liquids.
Bacardi, a family-owned company that recently marked its own 150th anniversary, acquired the Martini & Rossi Group in 1993. With this landmark acquisition, Bacardi doubled in size to become one of the world’s largest premium spirits companies.
About Bacardi Limited
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally recognized spirits and wines. The Bacardi brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDÍ rum, GREY GOOSE vodka, DEWAR’S Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin, MARTINI vermouth and Italian sparkling wines, CAZADORES 100% blue agave tequila, ERISTOFF vodka, and other leading and emerging brands. Founded 151 years ago in Santiago de Cuba on February 4, 1862, family-owned Bacardi now employs nearly 6,000 people, manufactures its brands at 27 facilities in 16 markets on four continents and sells in more than 150 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited.www.BacardiLimited.com
One of the most iconic brands in the world, MARTINI is the leading name in Italian winemaking and a purveyor of the highest quality aromatised and sparkling wines. The award-winning, vibrant and bittersweet taste of the MARTINI range is the result of secret blends of more than 40 botanicals sourced from the finest locations across the globe. The MARTINI portfolio includes: MARTINI Bianco, MARTINI Rosato, MARTINI Rosso, MARTINI Extra Dry, MARTINI Asti, MARTINI Moscato d’Asti, MARTINI Prosecco, MARTINI Rosé, MARTINI Brut and MARTINI Royale.