Bacardi Limited Continues to Improve Social Responsibility Programs and Environmental Efficiencies as Detailed in Annual Corporate Responsibility Report
Bacardi recognized by Reputation Institute’s Global RepTrak® 100 as one of the world’s most reputable companies
Hamilton, Bermuda, January 21, 2015 ˗˗ Family-owned Bacardi Limited, the world’s largest privately held spirits company, improved upon its environmental efficiencies, launched a global sustainability initiative with industry-first goals, increased engagement with responsible suppliers, and made substantial strides in responsible marketing programs.
These achievements are highlighted in the Bacardi Limited 2014 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, released online today, detailing the Company’s many CR initiatives during its 2014 fiscal year (April 1, 2013, to March 31, 2014).
The report, titled “Our Spirit is Clear,” showcases the Company’s commitment to promote responsible drinking behaviors and build a more sustainable future by protecting the natural resources used in crafting its premium products. As signatories to the 2012 global voluntary Producers’ Commitments to Reduce Harmful Drinking, Bacardi achieved first-year success in a number of action areas: marketing-agency responsibility compliance, limited television exposure to underage viewers, and programs to combat underage drinking. Supporting these commitments is the driving force behind the Bacardi CR model and overall company governance.
“Encouraging responsibility by underage drinkers not to drink – and discouraging inappropriate consumption of our products are key priorities for Bacardi in creating a safer and more sustainable business environment to market and sell our products. We are proud to report that 100 percent of our marketing agency contracts required adherence to our strict voluntary marketing guidelines and nearly 97 percent of all television ads placed across seven markets measured were in compliance with having a minimum 70 percent adult audience,” says Rick Wilson, senior vice president, External Affairs & Corporate Responsibility, who leads Bacardi CR initiatives globally.
Another key Bacardi CR effort in 2014 was the launch of its “Good Spirited” environmental platform with specific goals in sourcing, packaging and operations by 2022 across more than 160 markets where Bacardi sells its brands, including 75 offices and 29 manufacturing and bottling facilities. Building on current programs and efficiencies that reduce water and energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, the new Bacardi global program, “Good Spirited: Building a Sustainable Future,” reinforces the Company’s leadership in environmental sustainability and strives to return to the environment at least as much as we take away. Since Bacardi began tracking its global impact on the environment in 2006, it has already reduced energy use by more than 25 percent and water use by nearly 55 percent.
“We believe that with responsible management of both social and environmental impacts, Bacardi will be an even better and more sustainable business in the long term,” says Mike Dolan, chief executive officer of Bacardi Limited. “We lead by example, building consumer confidence and trust. Our consumers can enjoy our top-quality spirits brands knowing Bacardi cares a great deal about our environment, suppliers, employees and the communities where we work.” As part of its CR platform, Bacardi focuses its efforts in five key areas: 1) Marketplace; 2) Environment, Health & Safety; 3) Responsible Sourcing; 4) People; and 5) Philanthropy & Community Involvement. Significant accomplishments in fiscal 2014 include:
- Provided responsible marketing training to all new global marketing hires including a course on the recently updated Global Marketing Principles which now feature digital guidelines.
- Increased water efficiency by 4.6 percent leading to a 46.5 percent increase in efficiency and a water use reduction of nearly 50 percent globally with a reduction of 2.9 percent leading to a 28.5 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions globally from 2006 benchmarks.
- Launched the “B-Safe” Safety First seven-step behavior-based program in all 29 of our manufacturing sites to support the Company’s commitment to accident-free workplaces.
- Increased number of global direct suppliers and global point-of-sale suppliers linked to Bacardi on Sedex®, the database for sharing ethical audit data, to 80 percent and 82 percent, respectively.
- Launched the “Leadership Performance @ Bacardi” training program to more than 1,000 leaders to introduce changes in the performance management process to help them become more effective leaders.
- Achieved a 15 percent increase in women advancing to leadership roles within Bacardi, of which five percent were to senior leader roles, as part of the Company’s Women in Leadership (WIL) initiative.
- As part the Company’s annual CR Month, Bacardi employees participated in more than 100 different activities taking place throughout 36 countries resulting in more than 7,900 volunteer hours.
“Corporate responsibility has been at the foundation of Bacardi for nearly 153 years. With our multi-faceted CR focus, it will continue to be a driving force that sets Bacardi apart from others in the spirits industry,” adds Wilson.
About Bacardi Limited
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally recognized spirits and wines. The Bacardi brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDÍ® rum, GREY GOOSE® vodka, DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, and other leading and emerging brands including WILLIAM LAWSON’S® blended Scotch whisky, ERISTOFF® vodka, and ST-GERMAIN® elderflower liqueur.
Founded nearly 153 years ago in Santiago de Cuba on February 4, 1862, family-owned Bacardi manufactures its brands at 29 facilities and sells in more than 160 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited.