Bacardi Limited Publishes 2011 Corporate Responsibility Report
• Beats environmental, sourcing and social responsibility targets
• Features world tennis champion Rafael Nadal in “Champions Drink Responsibly” campaign
• Reports in line with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines
• Receives “Great Place to Work” recognition
Hamilton, Bermuda, April 3, 2012 — Family-owned Bacardi Limited, the world’s largest privately held spirits company, improved its global environmental efficiencies, increased engagement with responsible suppliers and announced world tennis champion Rafael Nadal as the new Bacardi Limited Global Social Responsibility Ambassador and face of its award-winning “Champions Drink Responsibly” program in its most recent Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, released today.
The report, titled “Spirit for Life,” reinforces the Company’s purpose and values as a CR leader in the spirits industry in order to promote responsible drinking and deliver a more sustainable future. This fourth annual CR report is released as Bacardi celebrates its 150th anniversary and focuses on the Company’s efforts to manage social and environmental impacts of its business in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011.
For the first time, Bacardi Limited reported in line with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, which enabled the Company to measure and report economic, environmental, social and governance performance in a standardized framework. This supports the existing Bacardi commitment to the United Nations Global Compact.
“As we celebrate 150 years as both a pioneer and leader in the spirits industry, we look forward to further expanding our social responsibility and sustainability practices as they are essential parts in developing a long-term and successful future for Bacardi and the world,” said Bacardi Limited Chairman Facundo L. Bacardi. “Each and every one of us has a role to play to address the challenges that face society today to create a more sustainable future. All of us at Bacardi are proud to highlight our progress in these critical corporate responsibility areas.”
Bacardi Limited President and CEO Ed Shirley added, “We take pride in actively engaging with our employees, consumers, suppliers, and customers while supporting the communities where we live and operate. Our actions in corporate and social responsibility are guided by our core values of Trust, Passion, Caring and Excellence and are demonstrated throughout this report as they have been since the founding of Bacardi 150 years ago.”
This CR Report showcases Bacardi accomplishments in five strategic CR pillars: 1) Marketplace; 2) Environment, Health and Safety; 3) Responsible Sourcing; 4) People; and 5) Philanthropy and Community Involvement. Key achievements include:
• Developed “Champions Drink Responsibly,” a social responsibility campaign which featured a new Bacardi Limited Global Social Responsibility Ambassador, world tennis champion Rafael Nadal. More than 45 million consumers worldwide have engaged with “Champions Drink Responsibly” since its 2008 launch to become champions for responsible drinking.
• Launched an e-learning module for responsible marketing training, successfully completed by more than 250 marketers.
• Held leadership roles in global alcohol initiatives through organizations including Global Alcohol Producers Group (GAPG), European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD), European Spirits Organization (CEPS), and Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS).
Environment, Health & Safety
• Set goal to achieve Carbon Trust Standard certification for UK operations, which includes Bacardi-Martini Limited (trading as Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands) and all operations of John Dewar & Sons Limited.
• Bacardi Americas Headquarters in Florida awarded Gold Certification in Commercial Interiors from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
• Reduced water consumption by 4% over previous year and by 50% over five years; water saved in last five years is more than 1.63 million liters.
• Improved water use efficiency by 9% over last year; 35% improvement over past five years, beat 15% reduction target in water use per unit of production.
• Cut energy used over previous year by 5%; 29% reduced in past five years.
• Sixty percent increase in amount of renewable energy used since fiscal 2006.
• Reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 7% year-on-year and outpaced anticipated five-year reduction with a 37% drop.
• Increased number of supplier sites linked to Bacardi on Sedex, the database for sharing ethical audit data, by 39% to 244.
• As one of the founding members of Bonsucro, a multi-stakeholder initiative to reduce environmental and social impacts of sugarcane, Bacardi hosted the Bonsucro Annual General Meeting at its rum distillery in Puerto Rico and led its rebranding efforts.
• Bacardi entered into a three-year program with WWF®, one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, focusing on protecting natural resources in Fiji, a key supplier country of molasses.
• Launched Global Performance Management System to 2,000 employees to cover career planning and development.
• Launched “Becoming Bacardi,” an award-winning immersion program for new employees to learn about the Company’s heritage, brands and people.
• Five country-level operations recognized in Great Place to Work® and other top employer rankings.
Philanthropy & Community Involvement
• Sixty percent of employees, representing 35 countries, took part in more than 125 activities during the first-ever CR Week, a global initiative designed to demonstrate the Bacardi Limited commitment to local communities.
• Contributed US$3.9 million to philanthropic and community involvement programs, measured through the London Benchmarking Group (LBG) of which Bacardi became a member.
• Continued its long history of assisting in times of catastrophic natural disasters. Bacardi Limited aided relief efforts in Japan after the earthquake, in Australia after the Queensland floods and in Brazil after the mudslides.
Corporate and social responsibility has been a foundation of Bacardi as a family and a Company. Company founder and BACARDÍ rum creator Don Facundo Bacardí Massó began this commitment when he volunteered to be the chief organizer of disaster relief in Santiago de Cuba after a devastating earthquake in 1852. For 150 years, the Bacardi family and Company have built on his commitment by giving back to communities around the world through volunteerism and financial donations.
About Bacardi Limited
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately-held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally-recognized spirits and wines. Its brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDI® rum, the world’s best-selling and most-awarded rum; GREY GOOSE® vodka, the world’s leading super-premium vodka; DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky, the top-selling blended Scotch whisky in the U.S.; BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, the top-valued and fastest-growing premium gin in the world; MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, the world’s leading vermouth; CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, the number-one premium tequila in Mexico and a top-selling premium tequila in the United States; ERISTOFF® vodka, one of the fastest-growing vodka brands in the world; and other leading and emerging brands.
Founded on February 4, 1862, and family-owned for the past seven generations, Bacardi now employs nearly 6,000 people, manufactures its brands at 27 facilities in 16 markets on four continents, and sells in more than 150 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited. To learn more about Bacardi and its pioneering heritage, visit the special 150th anniversary section at www.bacardilimited.com/150.